Saturday, February 13, 2010

To My Oldest Niece

Dear Ruby,
You are now a two-year-old! I cannot believe it. I still remember going into the hospital at 5 a.m. to visit my sister, brother-in-law, and newborn niece. I remember holding you for the first time. You were such a beautiful baby, all 5 lbs 1 oz and 17 1/2 in. of you. You still are a beautiful girl.
I remember the first time you grasped my finger. When you would smile at me and hold your head up. I remember coming home from a bad day a school, and seeing you at my house, smiling, waiting to greet me while your wonderful mom was at work. When I played with you, and I felt your unlimited love, I knew everything was going to be okay. You got me through those rough middle school days. You blessed me with your love, and you would let me feed you a bottle when no one else(besides your parents, but they were at work and school) could. That simple thing helped me get through hard times.You taught me to enjoy the little things in life. You saw the beauty in wind rustling the leaves on a tree. The delight in throwing rocks into water. The joy in watching birds fly. You taught me how to care for others, how to forgive them immediately when they messed up, and how to take care of kids. You taught me how to be a good aunt. You helped me be ready for when your delightful cousin Olivia was born. You taught me to value bubbles, flowers, jumping on the trampoline, so many things.You taught me to love life. You taught me to laugh at my mistakes. You taught me to laugh when trials happen. You taught me to be positive and to see the best in people. To smile. To love everyone. To share. To be inquisitive. To be a goofball once in a while.
I am so proud to be your Auntie Jenn. You are such a big girl, and you have so much joy and energy in you. Did you know your name means precious jewel? And that's what you are... a precious, precious, precious jewel. Thank you for loving me for who I am, mistakes included, and for helping me be a better person. I love you so much, Ruby-girl. Because you live in California, I relish talking to you on Skype and seeing your simple letters you write to us and make for us (with help of your mom, of course). Don't ever forget that I love you. So does everyone else who has the chance to know you. I love you. I love you so much. Thanks for being my spunky first niece.
Love,
Auntie Jenn

4 comments:

MZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MZ said...

Nice post Jenn! I think Ruby has an incredible Aunt!

Karen said...

It's amazing how much she's grown.. and you too.

Amy said...

Wonderful post Jenn--thanks for those thoughtful words!